Loughran Murphy Accountants in Wilmslow

accalogo               Christmas & New Year - We close at 3pm on Wednesday 19th December & reopen at 8am on Thursday 3rd January 2019

               Office Hours : Monday to Thursday 8.00am to 4.00pm & Friday 8.00am to 3.00pm. Phone 01625521666

               Registered as auditors in the United Kingdom by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants 

               Auditing Certificate No 19512047. VAT No GB305814182

Christmas Gifts for your employees

This is a list of how HMRC treat Christmas gifts, or gifts at any other time of the year, together with links to HMRC's website. Click here  thumb arrow 6 right

If you need assistance with any P11D Benefits in Kind please contact me. Dermot Murphy Tax Partner.


nicEmployment Allowance up to £3,000 per year.

Although the Employment Allowance reduces your employer’s Class 1 National Insurance Contributions (NICs) by to up to £3,000 each year, it will no nonger be available to one-man/woman companies whose only employee is the director. Who is eligible?  Almost every employer who is a business or charity (including a Community Amateur Sports Club) that pays employer Class 1 NICs on their employee’s or director’s earnings are eligible. How do you apply? If you’re eligible, and we run your payroll, we will automatically claim it for you. If you require any assistance please contact me. Dermot Murphy Tax Partner.

Click here for HMRC's Website National Insurance rules   thumb arrow 6 right

Companies use alphabet classes of share ie A, B, C, etc to allow flexibility when voting Dividends.

According to The Sun newspaper, 21st October 2018, HMRC has challenged this by issuing the pop group One Direction with a £24.7 million tax bill. Although legal, HMRC have targeted this as a potential measure of avoiding tax and NIC. An appeal has been lodged.

PensionGuideWorkplace Pensions Auto-enrolment

Our Payroll service is fully compliant with Workplace Pensions Auto-enrolment. For questions on workplace pensions EMPLOYEES should contact the DWP Workplace Pension Information Line, Tel 0345 600 1268. EMPLOYERS should contact the Pensions Regulator

Although it is possible to register with The Pensions Regulator yourself, it is time consuming and carries penalties for non compliance. Employers must complete a declaration of compliance (registration) or a re-declaration of compliance (re-registration) (this must be done every three years). Why not let us take care of the worry of registration for you, while you get on with running the business, we would be happy to assist.

You can choose your own pension provider. Although we do not recommend any particular pension provider, Loughran & Murphy accountants are registered as a NEST Delegate Organisation.We have already set up accounts for many of the employers who use our payroll services. We can provide immediate assistance to any employers using Nest through our account. NEST was established by the government and is free for employers.  NEST is the only scheme that has a public service obligation to accept any employer. If you need any help please contact me. Dermot Murphy Tax Partner.

The minimum contributions that most employees and employers pay and the dates when they must increase:
to 5th April 2018 1% and 1% - 6 April 2O18 to 5 April 2O19 2% and 3% - 6 April 2019 onwards 3% and 5%.

Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)

The Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) sets out the rules for how payments to subcontractors for construction work must be handled by contractors in the construction industry.

The scheme applies mainly to contractors and subcontractors in mainstream construction work, however businesses or organisations whose core activity isn't construction but have a high annual spend on construction may also count as contractors and fall under the scheme.

As a contractor you have certain obligations under the scheme, including registering with the scheme, checking whether your subcontractors are registered with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), paying subcontractors and submitting monthly returns.

If you are a subcontractor, you need to register with HMRC - as well as your main business name you can register up to one trading name. You must also keep HMRC informed of any changes to your business (including changes to the structure, address, business name, partners etc).

Intro to CIS thumb arrow 6 right  What you must do CIS thumb arrow 6 right  HMRC Guide340 to CIS thumb arrow 6 right CIS HMRC Manual thumb arrow 6 right

If you require any assistance with CIS please contact me. Dermot Murphy Tax Partner.

Register with HMRC to set up your online personal account and obtain yout UTR (Unique Tax Reference) Number.

Once you have your UTR number we can register online to act as your accountants.

HMRC will send you a code number to comfirm that you want us to act for you. 

Please advise us of the code number and then we will take care of everything else.

Click here to register with HMRC  thumb arrow 6 right    

L & M Articles & Reports

Click and View

L & M Gallery

We hope that you find these articles of interest.


Whilst we believe that the information displayed in this Website is correct at the time of publication, professional advice should always be obtained before acting on any information contained in this website. We cannot accept any responsibility for loss occasioned to any person as a result of action taken or refrained from being taken in consequence of the contents of this site. You must not rely on the information on the Website and you acknowledge that you must take appropriate steps to verify this information before acting on it. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access the Website through your internet connection are aware of these terms and conditions, and that they comply with them.

Contact Details

Suite A,
65A Alderley Rd,
Cheshire, SK9 1NZ

email us : click contact us at the foot of the page

Telephone:-   01625 - 521666