Loughran & Murphy Accountants is a two partner firm.

Roy Loughran FCCA worked at Binder Hamlyn Chartered Accountants before moving to Thornton Baker Chartered Accountants and then into industry as a Company Accountant. Having gained such a wealth of knowledge he started his own Chartered Accountancy practice.

Dermot Murphy FTCA, FIAP, MCIPP started work as an Inspector of Taxes. He worked at H M Inspector of Taxes Liverpool, St. Helens & London before starting his own business as a Taxation Consultant.

The firms jointly worked on a number of audits in 1978 so successfully that it culminated in a merger in 1979. Loughran Murphy Accountants was formed at the Royal Exchange, Manchester. The partnership has a history, through merger and acquisition, stretching back to 1951.

In November, 1979 the practice of W B Pearson & Co was acquired at 640 Stockport Road, Manchester and the practice moved to those premises. Bill Pearson had originally acquired the offices in 1951 and he practiced from there for 30 years until he retired in 1981. We ran a practice at those offices for 9 years until December 1988.

In February, 1981 the practice of G C Balfour and Co (who had traded from the Albany, Liverpool, since 1956) was acquired and we opened our Liverpool branch at those offices. In September, 1982 the practices of R G Roberts and Co and Northern Accountancy in Southport, Merseyside, were acquired and merged into our offices at The Albany in Liverpool.

On 1 December, 1984 the practices of North West Bookkeeping services and A Hussain and Co in Portland Street, Manchester, were acquired and merged into our offices on Stockport Road..

In October, 1987 the practice of A S Hack and Co in Liverpool was acquired and merged into our offices at The Albany. However this historical building was due for a major refurbishment and so it was that in July 1988, our Liverpool practices moved next door to the Cotton Exchange, Liverpool.

In December, 1988 we acquired the whole ground floor of Hilton House, Lord Street, Stockport, for our Manchester practices.

In July, 1994 we incorporated our Liverpool practices into Hilton House.

On 9th December 1998 the whole practice moved to our present offices, now situated over two floors at 65A Alderley Rd, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 1NZ.

We have continued to service the whole of the North West from Wilmslow where our business has continued to flourish.

Marie Murphy ACIPP, FTCA joined the practice on 1st April 2000 to head our PAYE department. She has successfully guided us through the RTI legislation introduced by HMRC in 2013.

Sophie Murphy BSc (hons), MAAT, ACIPP, FTCA joined the practice on 19th April 2004 to manage our Tax department.